Our logo is adapted from a painting by Phillip Dlamini, 1998, of a purple crested turaco. In traditional Swazi dress, the red feathers feature in the royal headdress, so this bird illustration is not only a symbol for wildlife conservation, but also of cultural heritage.
(Updated by Bob Forrester, December 2005)
Ngwenya Mine Visitor Centre: The building is perched dramatically on the rim of the vast open cast pit and provides displays and artefacts relating to mining. Subjects covered include geology, early hominid tool evolution, the use of specularite, the San /Bushman phase, the arrival of black iron using settlers, the colonial era and the modern mine. A steam engine and replica of an iron age furnace complete the history of the mine.
The centre opens at 8 in the morning and closes at 4 in the afternoon 365 days a year. The tar route to the mine from the Oshoek / Mbabane highway is clearly signposted as 'Old Ngwenya Mine'.
A well-informed guide can take you to the Visitor Centre and the world's oldest mine. The price is included in the entrance fee, both attractions take about one and a half to two hours to complete. The drive to the ancient mine can be undertaken by all vehicles. There is secure parking and it is an easy fifteen minute walk from the parking lot to the ancient mine. The view from the mine into the Steynsdorp Valley is superb.
Head Quarters: (+268) 2416 1489/1179
King Sobhuza II Park: (+268) 2416 1489/1179
National Museum: (+268) 2416 1489/1179
Copyright © ESWATINI NATIONAL TRUST COMMISSION
Malolotja Nature Reserve: (+268) 2444 3241 / (+268) 2416 1480
Mantenga Nature Reserve and Swati Cultural Village: 2416 1151/1178
Mlawula Nature Reserve: (+268) 2383 8885 (Reception)
(+268) 2383 8453 (Senior Warden)
Magadzavane Lodge: (+268) 2343 5108/9